While logging into the MFA Setup Microsoft online accounts with authentication, the verification of what you are and are you the one you claim to be. It is an authentication method that requires the user to provide two or more verification factors to gain access to the resource which online account application, or a VPN. Multi-Factor Authentication is the primary component of a strong identity and access management policy. Rather than just asking for the login credentials, MFA needs one or more additional verification factors, which decreases the likelihood of a successful cyber-attack.
Why is MFA Important:
The MFA will enhance your organization’s security by requiring your users to identify themselves with more than a username and password. The login credentials are vulnerable to brute force attacks and can be stolen by third parties. Whereas, the MFA factor like a physical or thumbprint hardware key will increase the confidence that your organization will stay safe from cybercriminals.
Multi Factor Authentication Login Guide:
- Firstly, you have to go to this link aka.ms/MFASetup.
- Then, provide your registered login credentials on the given file.
- After that, select the Next button.
Guide to Set Up the Multi-Factor Authentication for Microsoft Account:
Multi-Factor Authentication via Text Message:
- You have to select the Authentication Phone from the drop-down menu.
- Provide your phone number make sure you can receive a text message on this number.
- You have to click on the Send Me Code button.
- Then, you will get a code on your given phone number.
- You have to enter the code you receive on the enrolment page and your authentication process is done.
Multi-Factor Authentication by Mobile App Push/OAUTH:
- You have to select the Mobile App alternative from the drop-down menu.
- Then, from the verification, you have to select the Receive Notifications.
- After that, you just need to click on the Set Up button.
- Then, from your smartphone, you have to download the Microsoft Authenticator app from App Store or the Play Store.
- You have to open the Microsoft Authenticator app on your smartphone.
- There, you have to select the + sign for adding an account and then choose either “Work or School Account”.
- This Microsoft application will use your smartphone’s camera for authentication.
- Use the camera of your phone for QR codes appearing on your computer screen.
- It will enable the device to do Mobile App OAUTH.
Multi-Factor Authentication Using Phone Call:
- Then, from the Security Info, you have to select the Edit option.
- You have to choose Phone and provide the phone number, either mobile or landline.
- Then, select the Call me and then press the Next button to proceed further.
How Can You Set Up the Microsoft Authenticator App on Your Smartphone:
- Firstly, you have to download the Microsoft Authenticator app on your device.
- Then, select the Authenticator App while you are in Edit Security Info.
- You have to open the application on your device and then select the + button for adding your Drexel Account.
- Then, choose between the Work and School accounts. You have to scan the QR on the PC screen through your phone.
- You cannot use the camera of the phone. You will require to provide a 9-digit code on the URL.
- Then, a test approval popup will appear on your mobile screen.
- You just need to click on the Approve button for further steps.
- This generated code can be used when requesting Microsoft multi-factor authentication.